Random adventures through my life... in all their glory and splendor.

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Cruise Day 5

December 27th - Margarita Island

Watch out for Mangrove Ninjas!

So far, today has been the exact opposite of yesterday. We ported at Margarita Island in Venezuela this morning and the only way I can describe it is that it's like they know they rock and they've got nothing to prove. The beaches were close to port and basically spoke for themselves. The shopkeepers weren't agressive. Of the islands we've been to, this is the first to just let us be tourists without feeling totally assaulted. I'm sure there's more to the story here (like the cruise liners strong arming the locals out or something,) but I appreciated being sheltered, unhassled, and just allowed to enjoy the beach, bars, and shops for once.

Needless to say, we spent the most money there... you know, as a reward for good behavior.

Today's theme was to take the advice of friends who had been on other cruises.

A coworker recommended trying a Coco-loco. So being the savvy (and now international) drink orderer that I am, I walked up to the beach bar and had this conversation:

"Hola senor, wat you like?"
"Hi, what's in a Coco-loco?"
"You wan Coco-loco?"
"What's in it."
"Wahsinit?"
"Yes, what is a Coco-loco made of? Er... ingredients."
"Ah, si, uhm, ah, coconut... milk, y ah, coconut... rum."
"I'm for it."
"You wan Four? Four Coco-Loco's!"
"No, just one."
(blank stare...)
"Si, one Coco-loco," (Blender whirs...)

That's right, I can look like a dolt in pretty much any bar in the world! Respect. Anyway, all facts considering, he was very nice to me after that and guessed I was from England. English??? I probably should have just let him think that, but I fessed up and we (read HE) talked about Chicago baseball while adding about 15 different liquors to my 'coconut rum' drink. I always figured that the British would be better adjusted at ordering drinks, but it gives me hope that maybe there's a whole country full of people who can't order in a bar without disgracing their nation.

The next piece of advice I got was, "Get over it, men give great massages."

So I signed up for a 'theraputic massaje' on the beach. Three women and one man were giving massages, as you can guess, I got the guy. It was pretty heavy on the therapy and light on the relaxing. It was 45 minutes of drilling pressure points, which wasn't exactly comfortable, but feels good now. Anyway, I'm glad I did it. Chris asked me afterwards if I felt better. I told her, "Not much, but I think I'd feel a lot worse if I hadn't done it." That was one of the lessons from kayaking the other day. Sometimes you have to go the extra mile just to stay in place.
Dad: Still looking for yesterday's kayak. Just kidding!

No comments: