Random adventures through my life... in all their glory and splendor.

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Why for art thou blogging?

Since soooo many of you have asked...
The reason I've been blogging a lot more the past 2 months is worth mentioning. For most of the year, I had an after-work routine that, barring slight variations, was pretty consistent. It involved coming home, eating, working out or doing errands/chores, then heading onto the computer to play 'The Game' until I got tired. Now, 'The Game' to me is utterly therapeutic because it meets all my qualifications for being relaxing. It's not particularly fast paced, game time is about 45 minutes per round, and I found a system so I win pretty much every time without batting an eye. It's total brain candy and I just go into drone mode for about an hour, then decide if I want to do it again. (If you're wondering, no, unless you're Ken, you haven't played this game. It's totally obscure, old, and generally not noteworthy, but it does offer addictive gameplay.) Anyway, from time to time it would flit through my mind that these 45 minute chunks could really be put to better use. Then I'd click 'New Game' and I wouldn't have to think about THAT again for a couple days. In late October I had an Epiphany of sorts. I'd like to think that I came about it all my own, but really I think the lack of progress on any of my longterm goals finally broke me. I couldn't ignore my 'Do it Later' list any more. Besides, there were things like blogging and song writing on that list that I genuinely wanted to do but just hadn't set aside any time for them in months. Dropping 'The Game' was the only way anything was going to change, so mid October, I committed to not playing the game through New Years, as kind of a reverse resolution. I figured I could do it, because really, I just needed to get through the 6 weeks to Thanksgiving, then we'd get busy and it would all be downhill from there. So I did, and this blog is pretty much a direct result of the decision to reallocate 45 minutes of my time a night. You could argue that I'm still wasting my time, but I don't think so. At the very least, journaling is cheap therapy. :-)

No comments: